Costa Rica extends from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea. It offers an attractive vacation and retirement destination with almost limitless possibilities that include extensive rainforests, volcanoes, rivers traveling through the majestic mountains, beaches and natural resources protected by national parks and forest preserves.
Misty valley views, cool mountain breezes, and dazzling sun drenched beaches, innumerable rivers and stunning waterfalls complete the natural landscape and charm of the South Pacific Region. With a variety of climates and habitats, the region is a mecca for nature lovers, hikers, birders, surfers, and sport fisherman.
Costa Ballena, which cover a large part of Southern Pacific Region of Costa Rica, represent a site of great natural beauty. Beyond the relatively civilized stretch of beaches south of Dominical lies the Osa Peninsula, the country's most remote and rewarding destination. Rainforests with unequaled biodiversity and bordered by dramatic coastline are waiting to be explored. This region is an absolute paradise when it comes to beaches that invite you to surf, swim, snorkel, scuba dive, kayak and fish, or just to relax in warm tropical sun.
The South Pacific Coast of Costa Rica is filled with adventures!
◦ Deep sea fishing for record marlin
◦ Fly fishing in the Terraba River for snook or snapper
◦ Bird watching for over 450 varieties
◦ Horseback riding to jungle waterfalls or along the beach
◦ Mountain biking, ATV or dirt bike rental
◦ Kayaking, canoeing or traveling by motorized boats through one of the world's largest mangrove systems in the world.
◦ Visiting butterfly farms, snake farms, tilapia farms
◦ Relaxing in a crystal clear waterfall
◦ Snorkeling or dive trips
◦ Enjoying world class surfing and sea kayaking
◦ Zip line riding through the jungle canopy
◦ Exploring caves and hikes along mountain trails
◦ Hang gliding from mountain peaks
◦ Golfing or playing tennis
◦ Taking a jungle river cruise to the Corcovado Park, home to seven percent of the worlds species
◦ Spotting crocodiles, monkeys & scarlet macaws from your private balcony
◦ Dining in a dozen different international restaurants
◦ Or simply siting and enjoying one of the many nearly deserted beaches.
The main attractions are miles of secluded beaches, hiking along the coastal mountain ridge, and exploring in Ballena National Park which is named after the humpback whales that migrate to the area twice year. This region also boasts an unexpected oasis of gourmet eateries, particularly in Ojochal, a warm and welcoming village where there are restuaurants that add international flair to tropical cuisine.
Dominical is a sleepy village known as a surfer's mecca. It is backed by majestic areas combining the Tinamaste Mountains, the Baru River, and miles of brown-sand beaches edged with palms. Hiking, horse-back riding, and waterfall excursions abound. Along the Costanera highway that extends from Jaco south to Palmar Norte there are other picturesque communities and tiny beach hamlets that are still largely undeveloped.
Sierpe is a popular fishing village and the main gateway to the Cano Island Biological Reserve (diving, snorkeling), Corcovado National Park (hiking), and the Terraba-Sierpe National Wetlands (bird and wildlife watching), the largest mangrove forest in Central America. Also on the nearby coast are town and the shores of Drake Bay named after Sir Francis Drake, who landed there in 1579 and is rumored to have left buried treasure along the coast. The town is well known as an outdoor lovers' paradise and for ecofriendly accommodations.
Golfito is one of the top ten destinations in the world for sport fishing. The new Marina Bahia Escondida will be unique in all of Central America and will create a major destination for Pacific yachting. The South Pacific region is Costa Rica's premier destination for all forms of adventure and outdoor activities including surfing, scuba, white water rafting, horseback riding and ATV, canopy tours and sailing.
Real estate in this region is still available at excellent prices. If you are looking for a vacation or retirement home or a profitable real estate investment, Osa Tropical Properties invites you to contact our office to meet with one of our highly qualified real estate agents and explore Costa Rica's Southern Pacific Zone.